Civil Marriage

Both of us were born in Australia, we both live in Melbourne. We are both Australian citizens and we have lived here for the last 2 years. We are getting married in Santorini by civil marriage. Neither of us has ever been married before and we have never changed our name, legally or otherwise. What documents do we need to get married in Greece?

The process for you is as follows:

Make sure that you have an original full Birth Certificate for each of you. The Greek Authorities will keep these originals so, if you need one for future use, get new ones issued at Births, Deaths and Marriages. If you were born in Victoria, these can be issued here:

You would normally need to calculate just under 3 months before the wedding date in order to issue the rest of the documents. Certificates of No Impediment and Celibacy Certificates are only valid in Greece for 3 months after they are issued.

Take with you your two ORIGINAL full Birth Certificates to the Department of Foreign Affairs.
Before you go to DFAT, download and fill out this application: 

Get it witnessed and take it with you. Request that they issue two Certificates of No Impediment (one for each of the bride and groom) and to apply Apostilles on each of them. Request that they also apply Apostilles on each of the Birth Certificates.

Your certificates and stamps should cost approximately $500. You can confirm fees with DFAT. Call them before you go. You may need to make an appointment before you attend DFAT. They can also accept documents by mail and get paid by credit card. Their details can be found here: and here:

When you have received your completed documents (2 Birth Certificates, and 2 Certificates of No Impediment, all with Apostilles), please fax or email them to us. Please ensure that you have sent us front and back pages of all documents (including all stamps).

When we have completed the translation, we will send the certified translations to you by mail. You will need original translations with a stamp and signature. The total cost for translation will be $400.

We will send you an invoice by email and you can make payment by direct bank deposit, PayPal payment or over the phone by credit card.

When you have received your translations, take them along with your original stamped documents to the Greek Consulate for one final Consulate tax stamp. Those will cost approximately $200 there and they only accept cash. They are normally open on Wednesdays for translation legalisations and you will need to go there at 9am to take a number. Please call and confirm hours and fees over the phone beforehand. Their details are here:

Please find more information here:

Don’t forget to contact us upon your return to Australia. You will need a translation of your Greek Marriage Certificate for proof of marriage and change of surname. You can send us your Marriage Certificate and we will issue a NAATI certified Translation for you for $100.

Please remember that the above steps are only meant for specific circumstances as advised by the Greek Authorities. We are happy to help you understand your own individual circumstances and needs with advice from the relevant Greek Authorities.

Call us on 1300 665 233 or speak to Calliope Sofianopoulos directly on 0421 677 881.

Please read our Disclaimer.

Comments are closed.